Saturday, December 15, 2007

Color

I am watching the show "Color Correction" on HGTV for the first time, and they're working on a couple's bedroom (the host seems plucky and resourceful, but is painting the bedroom an odd bright blue and using chocolate accents, which I'm not feeling). All this is making me think about our future MBR. The color Benjamin Moore recommended for that room is HC-102, Clarksville Gray (I think it is warmer and has a greener tinge in person, but we are of course going to test out all the colors on our walls before we buy gallons and gallons of paint). The ceiling/trim paint they recommend is China White.

Since D. and I moved in together two years ago, we had been sleeping on and using my old bedroom furniture, and the set belongs to my parents (the bed is also a full and we could use larger). We decided the old set couldn't take another move, so it will stay at my parents' when we leave. My parents have generously offered to buy us a new bedroom set when we move; we will be repainting everything; and also ripping up the semi-grungy carpet currently in the MBR (we're not sure if there are nice hard wood floors underneath, like the rest of the apartment, if we'll have to do work on it to fix it up, or if we will just recarpet).

So essentially, the MBR will be the room that is completely started from scratch and I want it to be beautiful. So far we have the paint ideas, know that there is a bay window, and that is about it. One of my Chanukah gifts from D. was The Color Design Source Book by Caroline Clifton-Mogg. It is a beautiful book that was a refresher for an art history major and includes great photography by Alan Williams. In the introduction, Clifton-Mogg includes a very detailed late eighteenth-century German color wheel, which I matched against my paint chips, to find complimentary colors. In the case of Clarksville Gray, I think the right color might be a wine-red. I have an old Target duvet in that color, so may go with that (and my wedding bouquet, currently dried, is that color too, so I hope this works out!).

We also have to figure out the furniture and art. We both agreed on the image from this art poster printed by the museum at our alma mater. It has the beautiful reds I love, and I think if we frame it, it might work. Is it weird to have a nude in the bedroom?? Could the background color of the image work as another accent color?

In Clifton-Mogg's book, the few colors that are similar to HC-102 are paired with dark wood furniture and floors, cream accents, and red accessories. I'm feeling fairly confident about this scheme, but would appreciate comments, opinions, and any ideas for furniture!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

First off, no better place than the bedroom to have a nude.

I agree that with the Clarksville Gray and China White, you want a deeper, rich color to accent. Which yes, I agree with the darker wood furniture...like Cherry or Mahogany or something. And having red in the painting might tie in and unite the apt if you use red in the kitchen. I wouldn't use a lot red in the bedroom if you are using it in the kitchen. Accents, yes. But it's hard to say. But then again, red and green are complements, and if you say the Gray has a greenish tint. Sorry, this is how I get when thinking of color...you're getting my thought process in writing. The background color of the nude, which comes off as pink on my screen, will probably be too neutral to be an accent with the gray and china white. I'm not really sure if this would work, but what if you did accents in like a dark, rich reddish-purple. The red in there might go well with the green, but not fight with the red in the nude. I would look good with dark wood. And if used as an accent, might introduce something new without getting too crazy. I don't know, just an idea. But it could help to unite the colors while allowing you to not have too much of one...the red. Just a thought.

Love, Aaron