Saturday, June 28, 2008

Home Girl

My mother, blogger and reviewer extraordinaire, La Bibliofille, received an early review copy of Home Girl: Building a Dream House on a Lawless Block (read her review here). Just published this week, Home Girl mostly focuses on the West Harlem neighborhood to which author and former foreign correspondent Judith Matloff moves, but I particularly enjoyed her take on New York real estate, her eclectic hired hands, and home renovation projects.



I appreciated Matloff's straightforward journalistic writing and character descriptions. It was difficult for me to empathize with her sometimes sharp take on her family, her life choices, and, most startlingly, 9/11. After finishing this book (in one day - I had a difficult time putting it down), I really enjoyed visiting Matloff's website and viewing photos of her family and neighbors, and catching a glimpse into her home. The work came recommended and I pass that recommendation along, especially for anyone looking for a fresh 'abode'-type book.

No comments: