Thursday, June 26, 2008

Office Closet?

We finally got cable installed this weekend, though, because our building is so old, the only place it could go without the hick installer drilling was the linen closet (which doesn't have an outlet and is totally inconvenient). So there are wires stretched across the hall and into the den, but we're pretty happy to finally have TV/non-hijacked Internet/land-line.

We had an electrician come in and give us an estimate on moving the cable to our utility closet, hiding the wires, and reversing an outlet to that closet so that we have a few plugs in there. He's also going to redo all of our outlets and switches so that we don't electrocute ourselves (me) and are able to plug in modern appliances (D.). This will be done in the coming weeks and, hopefully before then, we'll be finally getting our storage space downstairs.

D.'s brother and our sister-in-law were here this weekend and, upon getting a tour of our apartment, made a comment about our huge our closets were -- they joked about putting another bedroom in.

Originally, D. had thought the utility closet (off the foyer) would be a great place to have a media stand with the cable hookup, router, phone, fax, and printer, and we would continue to use our laptops around the house and store stuff in the rest of the closet. But once the BIL and SIL noted how large the closets were, I got to thinking that once we had all of our electronics hooked up and stuff stored, I could make the closet into a home office.

If it was cleared, wired, and cleaned, I think it might work. I've been googling ideas and have found a few interesting, if not totally inspiring, links.

I think there was a Domino article on this last year, so I'll try to find it when I'm home later and link to it then. I'm assuming it will give a little more fashionable advice than what I've found so far.

No comments: